Sunday, February 01, 2009

Letter to Editor - Science

Finally, I have a new article. This is a letter to the editor I sent but has not been printed yet.

Tribune-Star contributor, Saul Rosenthal, lent me a book critical of milk. It changed my mind on the "goodness" of dairy and meat products. Science backs this conclusion. Thanks Saul.

The Center for Disease Control, since 2006, wants to test the entire U.S. population for HIV. The false positive result for the HIV antibody tests (tests not approved by the FDA with the disclaimer, do not use results to diagnose AIDS) is very high. Healthy women in their third trimester and newborns will be mandated by state laws to take deadly drugs.

In 1990 I checked my Mechanical Engineer's Handbook for the energy contents of gasoline and ethanol. Ethanol has lower energy content. Testing my 1978 Aspen , my results gave over an eight percent advantage to gasoline. I asked my friend Scott to run the same test on his fleet of cars. Scott reported about a ten percent difference. Two years ago, Consumer Reports tested E-85 and the ethanol blend. They also reported about a ten percent disadvantage with the ethanol blend. (This would be an excellent project for children in elementary school - test mpg ethanol blend/mpg gasoline.)

Science needs to be questioned. The dairy and meat industries along with the medical profession, the pharmaceutical industry, and Big Oil have proved they cannot be trusted. Perhaps the worst secret learned is that education professionals do not have to disclose payment from companies whose products they are testing.

No comments: